The Royal Visit to Queensferry 1918

Their Majesties King George V and Queen Mary accompanied by the Prince of Wales visited the Grand Fleet in the Forth on the eve of the surrender of the German High Sea Fleet. They arrived at Barnton railway station in the evening of November 19th and slept there aboard the Royal Train. The following morning, the King and the Prince of Wales were driven through Queensferry to Port Edgar.

They were met at Port Edgar by Admiral Sir David Beatty, Commander in Chief of the Grand Fleet. The King inspected some 5,000 sailors from the destroyer flotillas based at Port Edgar and gave a speech thanking them for the work they had done in the name of the Empire. 

The Royal party then boarded HMS Oak which made its way between the lines of warships on either side so that His Majesty could inspect the whole fleet.

HMS Oak flying the Royal Standard.

Her Majesty Queen Mary left Barnton an hour after the King and visited South Queensferry Royal Naval Hospital at Butlaw and Hopetoun House Military Hospital before rejoining the King aboard HMS Queen Elizabeth.

South Queensferry Royal Naval Hospital, Butlaw.
HM Queen Mary standing before the guns of HMS Queen Elizabeth.

HM King George, the Prince of Wales and Admiral Beatty later visited the Commander in Chief of the American battleship squadron, Admiral Sims, aboard his flagship the USS New York.

The Royal party aboard USS New York. From left to right Admiral Beatty, Admiral Rodham, HM King George, Admiral Sims and the Prince of Wales.

HM Queen Mary returned to Barnton in the late afternoon via the High Street and Hawes Brae unnoticed by the many local people!